Monday, December 15, 2014

Good Tidings of Great Joy

"And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, bring you good tidings of great joywhich shall be to all people." (Luke 2:10)


This Christmas season I want to bring to light a section of the Nativity story that has stood out to me this year.  While reading the Nativity story this week as I was getting into the Christmas spirit I found that verse 10 meant more to me this year than in previous years. 

When previously reading this verse in the Nativity I would read the first few lines of the angel's message, but I would subconsciously leave out the part that says that Christ's birth would "be to all people."  I understood that the birth of Christ was a monumental event in the history of the world, and that it was a time to rejoice.  But I didn't understand the scale of Christ's blessings upon mankind.

Since I grew up in the Church, I always knew that Christ was there for me, and that repentance was always an option.  I didn't understand that those "good tidings of great joy" that our Savior brought into our lives weren't known by all people. 


Being a missionary effectively means I teach people all day.  To teach all people that I come in contact with how they can grow closer to their Savior and have everlasting happiness.  The more I teach and watch people grow and change as they work towards becoming more Christ-like, the more I understand the monumental scale of Christ's life and work.  With each person I meet and teach, I grow to understand how Christ can influence their lives and bring about a great change in them. 

My challenge to you this Christmas season is to help spread these good tidings in other people's lives through acts of Christ-like love.  Have a goal to show one act of kindness and love each day until the New Year rolls around.  Many opportunities to show our love and care for those around us pass us by because we aren't looking for them.  Look for those opportunities, and take advantage of them when they appear.

It's my promise to you that as you develop greater Christ-like love through service, you will come to understand the many tender mercies of God.  You will feel more love from our Father in Heaven, and will become an instrument in his hands to change people's lives.  

Merry Christmas Everybody, I miss you all. 
-Elder Gailey

No comments:

Post a Comment