Monday, November 10, 2014

Tango - India - Richie - Echo - Delta (Tired)

SLEEP

John learned to love sleep in many different places!
This week I think I'm going to talk about something near and dear to my heart: sleep.  I love sleep, it's great.  It used to be the favorite part of my day, and now much of it has been taken away from me.  I don't have time to nap or hit the snooze button on my alarm.  I get up at 6:30 in the morning and I go until 10:30 at night.

But I always seem to have just enough energy throughout the day.  A promise has been fulfilled to me from Section 89 of the Doctrine and Covenants.

18. And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to thecommandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;

19. And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;

20. And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.

So far in my month on a mission I have found wisdom and great treasures of knowledge in my studies, and now I am beginning to understand the promise of not being weary.  I have had the necessary strength throughout the day and I'm normally not aware of my tiredness until the job is finished and my day is done.  I find that when 10:30 rolls around each night I'm suddenly overcome by lethargy that wasn't there before.
To those that read this, there is power that comes from obedience.  But there is power unto miracles with strict obedience.  If you have known me, then you know for a fact that I am not the person that can work from 6:30 AM to 10:30 PM with a smile on my face.  But through the incredible blessings of strength I've been the recipient of, I know that the promises in the above scriptures hold true.  And if they hold true for me, they will assuredly hold true for you.

It's a miracle to me that I can keep on this missionary schedule.  It may be a mini-miracle to some, but to me it is a miracle unto moving a mountain.  I may love sleep a lot, but this work requires sacrifice.  Thankfully the Lord makes up the rest.

Now I lay me down to sleep...zzzzzzzz

Elder Gailey

No comments:

Post a Comment